What is digital signage?
is a form of communication that uses electronic displays to show visual information. Digital signage screens can be programmed to show a mix of images, videos, and real-time data based on schedules or user defined rules.
Digital signage differs from broadcast TV because you have total control over your message.
- Which content will play.
- On which screen it will be shown.
- How often it will be shown.
Digital signage lets you organize and deliver your content to one, several, or all screens regardless of their location. You can also assign some content to play on specific screens within a group. This is above and beyond broadcast TV’s capabilities.
Solutions like Navori Labs’ QL software are the foundation on which electronic signage networks are built. Here are a few examples of what digital signage you can achieve with a QL-powered digital signage network.
Corporate information screens
Many businesses use digital signage to keep staff members informed throughout the workday. They can rely on QL’s Template and Ticker Designers to create and manage information channels for their digital screen networks. It’s a simple process.
Using QL’s Data Feed Manager, content administrators register the data source so QL can retrieve and publish the data to their screens. They use the Template Designer to lay out individual fields and tables according to their needs.
Data feeds can also be customized using a range of fonts and other typographic controls. Company logos and other graphical elements can be added to the layout as needed.
Social media boards and instant messages
Social media is a great source of digital signage content that requires little effort to maintain. Leverage your own social media channels and populate your screens with constantly updated information from your Facebook page or Twitter account.
Simply register your social media feeds in QL’s Data Feed Manager and QL Server will start synchronizing your feeds. Assign corresponding fields to your templates or tickers and you’re ready to publish freshly updated content to your screens.
QL syncs with your data sources regularly so new posts are displayed in real-time.
Business Information (BI) dashboards
QL lets you gain a competitive market advantage through knowledge sharing.
You can display content hosted and formatted on your BI platform of choice, or use our Template Designer to create your own custom layouts. QL Templates let you format and combine the data with your own visual content.
Improve your team’s decision making by showing live production figures, sales statistics, and data mining reports delivered straight to your screens.
QL makes it easy to display event schedules in lobbies, meeting rooms, and common areas. Simply use the Data Feed Manager to retrieve Microsoft Exchange or Google Calendar data. Once you register your data sources, it’s easy to display the information inside individual fields and tables that you create in QL’s Template Designer.
Enhance your event schedules with weather reports, information about local attractions, travel advisories and other relevant content. QL makes it easy to customize your event schedule screens.
Emergency alerts and real time notifications
Organizations rely on digital signage to display emergency alerts and instant notifications. These messages are usually triggered when an unexpected event or emergency occurs. While these situations are in effect, all scheduled content is interrupted to show messages in each affected area.
QL lets you display escape routes, emergency notices or other useful information for as long as the situation warrants it. Once the emergency is over, screens return to their regularly scheduled programming.
Emergency alerts can be triggered manually using a touch screen or physical button. They can be triggered using any RSS/XML, or social media feed. Software developers can also use the QL API to further integrate their alarm systems and entirely bypass the software’s user interface.
Interactive digital signage
Interactive applications are becoming increasingly popular. Whether it’s an information kiosk in a lobby or a wayfinding totem in a mall, QL supports them all. All you need is an Android tablet or a touch screen enabled PC.
QL supports interactive content, like HTML5 apps. You can also trigger any third-party content or app using QL to deliver engaging and informative content on any platform. Show a loop of content to attract passers-by and launch any content with a touch.
QL provides all the tools content administrators and creative staff need to program and maintain their digital screen network.
QL has two main components:
- A backend content management server that handles every operation from end-user access via an online dashboard, to delivering content to each media player.
- A digital signage player software that relies on user created schedules and rules to display content on audience facing digital screens.
Get everything QL Express offers, plus these advanced features.
- Proof of playback report engine — generate reports that show where and when content has played. Share results with clients and colleagues for billing or administrative purposes.
- Advanced scheduling engine — assign playlists to different time slots throughout the day to create dayparts. Merge playlist contents and assign content priority to deliver rich programming to your screens.
- Conditional playback rules — use live data to activate your content. Display any content based on current weather observations, business intelligence data, product stocking levels or any other live event. No user interaction required.
- Conditional content triggering — instantly trigger any content based on user defined rules. Ideal for displaying urgent messages like evacuation notices or fire alerts. Regular programming resumes once the emergency is concluded.
- Create domains for your users — QL Pro administrators control which resources users can access and use. Users assigned to a domain can’t view or use assets and players that are in other domains. This is ideal for multi-tenant organizations.
- Control what your users can do — user profiles regulate which features users can access in QL Pro. Create user accounts with view-only rights all the way to administrator accounts. Select from existing user profiles or create your own (QL Pro on-premise only).
- Automate all QL processes via our API — programmers can integrate QL with any third-party software using the QL Server API. Write your own code and bypass the QL Content Manager to automate any process.
QL supports a wide range of hardware devices so you can tackle any project. You will benefit from a single software platform for all your devices. One software to learn and maintain.
QL Stix is our own, commercial-grade Android media player device. It’s a plug-and-play device that supports 4K content. Use it to retrofit older electronic signage screens or on new deployments where ease of use is preferred. You’ll be up and running in minutes.
System-on-Chip (SoC) and Smart TV screens
Smart TVs offer an attractive package by incorporating the media player hardware inside the digital screen. There are many advantages to using Smart TV screens. For starters, you save on hardware and installation costs.
There are no devices to mount behind the screens and less exposed wires. Smart TVs can be easily upgraded to QL. Simply download the app and log in to activate the software.
BrightSign media players are well known to digital signage users worldwide. When running QL Player, BrightSign media players can be added and managed with other devices under a single software. Your BrightSign devices will inherit the same features as other QL Players on your network.
QL Player is available on the Windows operating system in 32 and 64 bit versions. Once installed, QL Player transforms your PC into a dedicated media player capable of displaying content on one or more screens. The 64 bit “IPR” version supports 8K multiple 4K screens for amazing video walls and other multi screen applications.
Generic Android Devices
The QL Player software can be installed on many third-party Android devices. This is a quick and easy way to upscale existing media player hardware to the latest digital signage technology available. Simply download the APK and launch to get started.