How to Evaluate Digital Signage Software During a Free Trial
Let’s be honest. There is no such thing as a free lunch. While there are many digital signage software offerings that claim to be free, you will rarely find one that you can actively use for commercial purposes.
Digital signage software free trials
Have you ever encountered these offers online?
- Free digital signage software for schools
- Free digital signage software for Raspberry Pi
- Free digital signage software for Smart TV
They usually refer to a digital signage demo or trial offer. In some cases they are in fact referencing completely free digital signage software, but we have some warnings to share about that too (later in this post).
The digital signage software demo or trial is an important step in selecting a signage solution. It’s where you can put prospective software to the test so you can determine if it’s a fit for your needs.
Will software “A” deliver what I need? The only way to really know is to try it out. Use your own content and test the solution in a real-world environment. See if the software meets your requirements and find out how easy it is to use.
Digital signage software demos are an essential step in selecting the right solution before you commit.
How long should a free trial last?
Digital signage software demo periods can range between 10 and 30 days. This is usually sufficient for the user to know if the product is a good fit. The key is to dedicate sufficient resources to the trial so as to put the software through its paces.
If you have access to a 30-day trial, make sure you use the product for the entire period. Your opinion of the product may change over time.
If at all possible, test the software on your own hardware. This will let you go experience the installation and configuration process. You will also find out if the software is compatible with your equipment which is really useful.
If the vendor offers their own digital signage media player devices, ask if they have any demo units available. You’ll gain a lot of experience by setting up the hardware and by seeing how it performs with your own digital signage content.
How to tell if the software is right for your company?
One of the key questions to ask yourself during your free digital signage software trial is “will my teams actually be able to use this thing effectively”?
Very often, prospective buyers get so wrapped up in the ‘cool new features’ and futuristic demo they saw that they forget to focus on the four most important questions they should be asking themselves:
- Is this software easy to learn and use?
- Can this software do what we need it to do today?
- Will this software continue to evolve as business needs change?
- Will this software work with the hardware we already have?
Try to focus on these questions during your search and you will already be ahead of the game.
How to take advantage of a free digital signage software trial
Taking advantage of a digital signage software free trial can help you assess the capabilities and suitability of the software for your specific needs. Here are some steps you can follow to make the most out of a digital signage software free trial:
- Explore the features: Once you have access to the software, take the time to thoroughly explore its features and functionalities. Familiarize yourself with the user interface, content creation tools, scheduling options, and any other relevant capabilities.
- Test different content formats: Create and test various content formats to gauge the software’s versatility. This could include images, videos, slideshows, social media feeds, news tickers, weather widgets, or live data integrations. Experiment with different layouts and templates to see how well they meet your needs.
- Assess ease of use: Evaluate the software’s user-friendliness. Is it intuitive and easy to navigate? Consider whether the learning curve is reasonable for you and your team.
- Check for customization options: Determine the extent to which you can customize the signage to match your brand and visual identity. Look for features like custom color schemes, font selections, branding overlays, and the ability to upload your own media.
- Evaluate scheduling and management: Test the software’s scheduling and management capabilities. Assess if it allows you to set specific times for content playback, define playlists, and easily update or change content remotely.
- Test compatibility: If you plan to integrate the digital signage software with other systems or platforms (e.g., social media feeds, data sources), ensure compatibility and test the integration during the trial period.
- Gather feedback: Involve relevant stakeholders in the evaluation process and collect their feedback on the software’s performance, features, and usability. This will provide different perspectives and help you make an informed decision.
Which tests should I perform during my digital signage software trial?
The first step is to make sure the solution is compatible with your content:
- Does the software support your file formats without conversion?
- Does it support popular formats for images, videos, PDF files, and presentations?
- How easy is it to upload content?
- Are there any file size limitations or other restrictions?
Next, look at the user interface:
- Is it easy to use and intuitive?
- Can you access it on different hardware platforms? (PC, MAC, Android…)
- Does the software offer a web interface, or does it require locally installed software?
- Does it offer all the features you need?
Free digital signage software is not free of issues
In today’s fast-paced digital age, businesses are constantly seeking innovative ways to capture the attention of their customers. One popular avenue is through the use of digital signage, which allows companies to display dynamic content on screens to engage and inform their audience. While the idea of free digital signage software may sound enticing, it often comes with a significant trade-off: low quality.
Free software options tend to lack the robust features and customization options that businesses require to create a truly impactful and tailored digital signage experience. Limited design templates, restricted content scheduling, and a lack of technical support are just a few of the drawbacks that often accompany free software solutions. Furthermore, these offerings may be riddled with advertisements or branding from the software provider, detracting from the professional image that businesses aim to project.
To truly maximize the potential of digital signage and deliver a high-quality experience, investing in premium software options with advanced features and reliable customer support is undoubtedly a wiser choice. After all, when it comes to capturing and captivating your audience, compromising on quality is simply not an option.
Why you should consider a free trial of Navori QL software
Navori Labs offers a free digital signage software trial. The trial period is 30 days during which you will get to try out every feature included with the QL Professional software application. The trial is hosted on Navori Lab’s cloud servers so you only need a local PC, or other supported devices to fully experience the software.
QL Player is the media playback software you download and install on your device. Installation takes minutes and you’re up and running. Don’t have a PC or Android device handy?
Navori Labs offers its powerful QL Stix 3700 Android media player that includes QL Player. It’s a true, plug-and-play digital signage device that delivers 4K resolutions on compatible screens.
QL Player is also available for many system-on-chip Smart TVs and BrightSign players.
You will access the QL platform using your web browser. Once you are logged in, you can perform all your tasks using the software’s web-based Content Manager.
- Upload your content – QL supports images, videos, PowerPoint presentations, PDF files, and web pages.
- Create templates – Create layouts for your content. Position live data feeds, media zones, and graphics anywhere on the screen.
- Create tickers – Display news items, weather feeds, or any other live data across the bottom of your screens.
- Create playlists – These are content loops that play in sequence or randomly.
- Schedule your playlists – Create dayparting to display different information during the day.
The software documentation is available right from the Content Manager interface, and you can also view our demo videos online.
About QL Digital Signage Software
Navori’s proprietary QL digital signage software is a powerful and comprehensive solution designed to revolutionize the way businesses communicate and engage with their audiences. With its user-friendly interface and robust features, QL enables users to effortlessly create, manage, and display dynamic content across various digital signage screens. The software offers a wide range of customizable templates, advanced scheduling options, and real-time data integration, allowing businesses to deliver targeted and impactful messages. With its intuitive drag-and-drop functionality and extensive media support, QL makes content creation a breeze. Whether for retail, corporate, or hospitality environments, QL digital signage software provides a seamless and reliable solution for captivating audiences and maximizing the potential of digital signage networks. Get started with a QL digital signage software free trial today!