Digital Displays for Advertising
The popularity of digital-out-of-home (DOOH) advertising is skyrocketing as an effective marketing tool. Advertisers and brand owners worldwide are embracing DOOH, thanks to advanced digital technologies and innovative display solutions. DOOH harnesses the power of digital displays and LED billboards to actively engage and captivate audiences in public spaces.
Its rise in popularity stems from its ability to deliver targeted, immersive, and contextually relevant content to a wide range of viewers. As a result, more and more advertisers and brand owners are realizing the tremendous potential of DOOH in real-time consumer reach and influence, brand awareness, and achieving their marketing goals.
Let’s consider what’s behind this trend
Advertising revenues for print magazines and newspapers are decreasing, and there are no signs of a recovery anytime soon. Most of the lost revenue is going towards digital advertising, like online ads and DOOH advertising. We see the same decline in broadcast TV advertising revenues. The number of TV viewers keeps dropping as more specialty channels become available. This is partly because people are favoring streaming platforms such as Netflix, Amazon, and others.
Meanwhile, US digital-out-of-home revenue reached almost $3 billion US in 2015*. This represents almost 41% of total out-of-home spending for the period, and we predict this number will increase to 53%, or $4 billion US by 2018.
Increasing DOOH ad revenues are helping to drive digital display sales, which is why you can expect to see more screens popping up in airports; subway, train, and bus stations; shopping malls and convention centers; government offices and libraries; and other public spaces.
There are other factors at play.
- The cost of LED panels used in exterior billboards has dropped steadily over time making these types of displays more cost-effective. While many traditional billboards and exterior wall-mounted posters have already been replaced by LED panels, the majority are still print-based so there are plenty of opportunities for growth.
- LED panels now come in a range of pixel densities. The denser the pixel count, the higher the resolution. High-resolution panels are ideal for interior applications where viewers are closer to the display. Low-resolution panels are used mostly in exterior applications, like roadside billboards.
- There are more ways to connect media players to the Internet. The proliferation of Wi-Fi access points and 4G wireless data means displays only need access to a reliable power source.
- Digital displays come with many features.
- Thin and ultra-thin bezels (fewer gaps between displays for building video walls).
- Wide range of sizes for most types of applications. Some specialty displays are available in “non-standard” sizes.
- Smart displays that use System on Chip (SoC) technology. No external media player is required.
The advantages of digital display advertising
Digital display advertising offers significant advantages over traditional print-based advertising, and these advantages have been proven in many independent studies.
- Digital display ads attract attention and have a significantly higher rate of recall compared to print media.
- Viewers dedicate more time to looking at digital displays than printed signs, underscoring the importance of maintaining fresh and captivating content.
- Ads delivered on digital advertising displays generate a greater number of impressions compared to print ads.
- While print ads experience a rapid decline in impressions after the first day, digital displays consistently generate impressions over a longer period.
- Digital advertising displays excel in capturing attention due to their distinctiveness when compared to print ads. Utilizing videos or animations on displays is particularly effective in seizing viewers’ attention.
- Digital displays for advertising excel in promoting impulse purchases, surpassing traditional advertising methods. Their higher recall rate contributes to their overall effectiveness.
- Digital advertising displays yield a significant increase in sales lift compared to traditional point-of-purchase methods.
How to get optimal results
Investing in digital advertising displays is a wise choice, but creating well-crafted ads is essential for achieving desired results. Always prioritize good content and regularly rotate the content to avoid falling short of expectations.
When selecting a venue for displaying ads, avoid simply reusing old TV ads for digital-out-of-home campaigns. Fifteen and thirty-second clips won’t be effective in busy areas. It’s crucial to adapt or create original content tailored for optimal outcomes. Avoid content longer than seven seconds in high-traffic areas. Instead, consider using short animations or static content and frequently change the message. This strategy increases impressions and improves retention.
Conversely, in places where people spend more time, like a doctor’s waiting room or a motor vehicle office queue, 15-second clips can be more effective than shorter ones. Viewers in these locations have more time to absorb the content. In such cases, having fewer impressions is acceptable and even preferred.
Digital advertising displays have one huge advantage over traditional print advertising. They let advertisers adapt and tweak their message for specific viewers on the fly. Ad campaigns can be optimized based on a range of parameters such as location, time, event type, demographics (sex, age, etc.), and more. Results are analyzed over time and messages are revised as necessary, all at very little cost.
There are no shipping and handling charges every time you change your ad. With digital displays, it’s basically point-and-click. Changes in strategy can be implemented in real-time via your digital signage software which is much more efficient than with traditional methods. Mistakes can be corrected instantly. Different versions of the same ad can be tested in different markets, and the results analyzed to improve future campaigns.
Automated ad delivery
Many companies have developed technologies that actively display targeted ads on demand. Digital displays with video cameras and sensors can activate specific content based on the viewer’s characteristics. Advertisers can set detailed parameters like age and gender to ensure ads reach the right audience. Special software manages these advertising systems.
These camera-based systems only gather visual information and don’t store video footage to protect privacy. The cameras act as sensors, recording and providing data on audience interactions to advertisers for analysis. This data reveals who viewed the screen and how long they engaged with it.
Ads can also be triggered using RFID, proximity sensors, beacons, and smartphone apps. The concept remains the same: detect interactions and display relevant content. Stores using RFID tags to track products can show unique ads when a shopper with a matching item approaches the display. For example, if someone holding pants walks by a digital display, it can activate an ad for socks. This targeted advertising captures viewers’ attention and provides valuable information. Stores running these campaigns track ad impressions and match the data with sales information to evaluate each ad’s performance. They can edit or replace ads that fail to generate enough interest.
Digital signage displays that actively engage with the audience have higher retention rates compared to other media, including online ads. This is because the information is readily available when decisions are made.