Digital Bulletin Board Ultimate Guide: Create, Share, and Engage!
Have you ever walked past a bulletin board in your office wondering if there was a more creative way to share information? You’re not alone! Many organizations are now embracing digital bulletin boards as they offer a simple yet engaging way to share information, build community, and increase employee engagement. In this article, we’ll guide you through the essentials of creating a digital bulletin board, share some inspiring ideas, and offer some tips you can use to get started.
What is a digital bulletin board?
First things first, let’s define what a digital bulletin board is. Put simply, a digital bulletin board is an electronic display that presents digital or multimedia content to viewers. Each display is managed by a digital signage software platform where you upload and distribute targeted information to each screen.
Digital bulletin boards can deliver a wide range of content such as videos, images, web pages, and presentation decks. They can be used to share any kind of information – from safety announcements, weekly schedules, and socializing updates to motivational quotes.
How to create a digital bulletin board?
Creating a digital bulletin board sounds daunting, but it’s much easier than you think. Start by selecting a digital signage platform that best suits your organization’s needs. A useful option would be software that includes some type of content creation tool, such as a template designer. Look for a template designer that supports real-time data, social media feeds, media zones, time and date, geometric shapes, and other useful features.
Once you’ve decided on a software platform, use the template designer to create an aesthetically pleasing layout. Keep in mind the importance of using a clear and legible font size that is appropriate for the audience’s viewing distance. Next, decide on the content you want to share and start adding it to the template. Make sure to include engaging visuals and concise text. Lastly, include live news feeds to keep the information relevant and refreshed.
When planning your content programming, see if your software supports random playback. This will ensure there is less content repetition and this will make your programming more attractive and “sticky”. Viewers tend to lose interest when there is too little content of interest displayed on the screen, or when a playlist contains too few items with a constantly repeating cycle. We call this the digital wallpaper effect.
To maintain your viewer’s interest…
- Use fresh and compelling content such as news items, RSS feeds, and other useful third-party content.
- If your digital signage software offers a random playback option, turn it on.
- When appropriate, use bold colors and animations in your content so it “pops”!
- Mix things up. Switch from templates to full-screen videos or animations.
- While most displays are usually mounted in horizontal (or landscape) orientation, it sometimes makes sense to mount your displays in vertical (or portrait) orientation. Portrait screens will deliver a “poster” effect that can promote viewer engagement.
- Include calls to action in your content to promote viewer engagement.
Not a graphics designer? Don’t worry…
The creation of digital bulletin board content is not just for creative professionals. There are many popular online tools that anyone can use. Here are 5 suggestions for you.
- Navori QL: This software includes the tools you need to create and publish attention-grabbing content to any screen. Since QL is a complete digital signage platform, it also lets you manage, schedule, and deploy your custom content across any number of displays.
- Canva: A popular content creation tool available online. Canva offers an extensive library of ready-made designs for any type of business. Simply log in and start making great content for your screens.
- Fotor: Similar to Canva with additional features, such as a photo enhancer and AI art generator.
- Design Wizard: Another Canva alternative with similar features and pricing. You get access to curated content such as stock photos and videos to get started.
- Adobe Express: This is Adobe’s entry-level design tool for beginners who want to express their creativity. It includes tools for editing photos and designing your own graphics. Best of all, you don’t need to know anything about Photoshop.
Whichever content creation solution you pick, make sure it supports your digital signage display’s resolution.
- 1920 pixels X 1080 pixels for a Full HD screen in landscape, or horizontal orientation
- 1080 pixels X 1920 pixels for a Full HD screen in portrait, or vertical orientation
Digital bulletin boards for offices
Digital bulletin boards are perfect for office environments as they offer an easy way to broadcast information to employees across the enterprise. They can be used for many purposes such as events, employee of the month announcements, wellness challenges, company news, and more. You can even create a “shout-out” or “suggestion” section to encourage employee interaction and engagement. Digital bulletin boards can also save the environment by reducing paper usage and have public health benefits as physical contact with surfaces is reduced.
Digital bulletin board ideas
Pinterest is a great platform for sourcing inspiration and ideas for digital bulletin boards. You can find countless ideas on topics such as work-from-home tips, mental health awareness, virtual social events, and company culture. Engage employees by asking for their content creation suggestions or create a “submit your ideas” section.
- Digital bulletin boards can be used in the office to promote workplace wellness initiatives such as gym memberships, walking challenges, and nutrition tracking.
- Encouraging employee recognition by featuring a “shoutout” section on your digital bulletin board where employees can acknowledge and thank their colleagues.
- Displaying emergency procedures and safety guidelines is crucial, especially for offices that have high visitor traffic or many employees.
- Customize your templates to match your branding. There are many free digital bulletin board templates available online that can be edited and tailored to suit your specific needs.
- Use data-driven content and rule-based programming to ensure messages are shown when they are most relevant. For example, you can display weather-related health and safety messages in times of flood or other types of emergency.
What else should I publish on my digital bulletin board?
- Work-related announcements such as upcoming meetings, project updates, and changes in policies.
- Display employee accomplishments and work anniversaries to acknowledge their hard work and dedication.
- Event promotions such as company parties, volunteer opportunities, and fundraising initiatives can help employees feel connected and engaged with the company.
- A gratitude journal where employees can contribute a positive note daily.
- Sharing employee success stories that showcase how their work has helped to drive the business forward.
- Displaying inspirational quotes and stories from famous people.
More and more businesses rely on Navori QL digital signage software to deliver engaging content that inspires and motivates staff wherever they are. In fact, Navori’s QL Mobile software can also empower undesked employees so they can take direct control of their screens. With QL Mobile, managers can even launch on-demand content for staff training and presentations using their smartphones.
Digital bulletin boards offer numerous benefits to workplaces looking to improve interdepartmental communication, cut printing costs and promote environmental sustainability. By following the tips outlined in this blog post, you can create a digital bulletin board that will engage and inform your employees.
Whether displaying work-related announcements, promoting company events, or showcasing employee accomplishments, digital bulletin boards are a powerful tool that can boost morale and promote a positive office culture.
So what are you waiting for?
Start creating your digital bulletin board today and level up your workplace communication game!